Welcome to the College of Engineering
Professor is on a mission to make a community that’s better, and fairer, for more people
The classes Don Winiecki teaches in the computer science department help students identify bias in technology – facial recognition software that misidentifies women and people of color, or the recent example of a health care algorithm that was found to have a significant racial bias when determining which patients should receive additional care.
Technology has these flaws because the scientists who created and refined it based it on themselves and on their own experiences, said Winiecki, a professor of ethics and morality in professional practice in the College of Engineering. This extends to technology meant to aid people who are blind or visually impaired.
- December 4 – ECE Seminar – 10:30 am – RUCH 103
- December 6 – MSMSE Seminar – 10:30 am – RUCH 110
Dianne Ezell, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- December 6 – MBE Seminar – Noon – MEC 106
Dr. Brecca Gaffney
Multidisciplinary Approaches to Quantifying Muskuloskeletal Movement Pathologies
- December 21 – Winter Commencement
ExtraMile Arena, 10 am
- College of Engineering Events Calendar
- University Events Calendar: Boise State Events