Skip to Main Content

Transfer Students

Transfer Students

At Boise State, you’re considered a transfer student if you have completed at least one college class for credit after graduating from high school. If you took college level courses during high school you are considered a freshman student with transfer coursework.

Making the Transition to Boise State

As a transfer student, you’ll quickly discover that your smooth transition to Boise State is our top priority. And once you arrive on campus, you’ll uncover new opportunities in each encounter.

Check out the Transfer Student website to see the key elements of the Transfer Process.

Transfer Students entering Boise State University under the 2012-2013 Catalog

This information pertains to students who are transferring to Boise State University from another institution. New transfer students are required to meet with an advisor.  Unsure who your advisor is?  Find information on the Advising and Academic Enhancement page.

Background Information on UF100, UF200, and UF300:
Intellectual Foundations (UF 100) and Civic & Ethical Foundations (UF 200) are graduation requirements for all Boise State University students.  These courses introduce our signature learning outcomes (ULOs 1-6) to students and in doing so support the development of skills and knowledge which will help students succeed in college. They also form the basis for courses that follow in the undergraduate curriculum.

In order to support our transfer students and establish a basis in the signature learning outcomes we have created an alternative course, Transitional Foundations (UF 300).  Transitional Foundations builds on the prior learning upper division students bring to Boise State University.  It forms the groundwork for continuing progress toward mastery of the University Learning Outcomes in the major, including Communication in the Disciplines and Finishing Foundations courses.

Transitional Foundations (UF 300) has a pre-requisite of “Core Certified.” However, an analysis of transfer student transcripts demonstrated that students who have reached upper division status and and have earned a distribution of general education courses may be better served by taking UF 300 rather than the UF 100, 200 sequence.  Therefore, the following override guidelines will be followed for 2012-13.  An analysis of transfer students experiences during 2012-13 will help us determine the permanence of this practice.

Please see below for the guidelines concerning:

Students who have met all Core Requirements and are CORE CERTIFIED:

Transitional Foundations (UF 300) will meet the graduation requirement in University Foundations for students who transfer to Boise State University as Core Certified.  Core Certified is noted on the unofficial transcript and the Academic Advisement Report as ZGUXFER 100XF GENERAL UNIVERSITY CORE MET.

Students who have more than 58 credit hours but are NOT CORE CERTIFIED:
To be eligible for UF 300 (in lieu of the UF 100, 200 sequence) students must meet ALL of the following requirements:

  • Have completed 58 credit hours (meet the minimum for junior standing), AND
  • Have successfully* met the ENGL 101-102 requirement.

It is recommended that students have successfully* completed 75% of the Disciplinary Lens categories (DLL, DLM, DLN, DLS, DLV) as this course work provides a basis for upper division work.

*Successfully means that a grade of C- or better must have been earned in each of these requirements, as is the current policy to earn credit for Core. ENGL 101-102 may also be satisfied by either course or test credit.  Successfully completing ENG 112 also satisfies this requirement.

Students who have FEWER than 58 credit hours and are NOT CORE CERTIFIED:

  1. Transfer students who have fewer than 58 credits and are NOT CORE CERTIFIED will complete the UF 100 and UF 200 sequence. The Boise State University signature learning outcomes (ULOs 1-6) are established in these courses.

Additional Useful Links

Frequently Asked Questions 

Transfer Equivalency Guides

Transfer Student information and resources

 Transfer Adjustment Form