Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu

Admission To Upper Division

The first two years of the curriculum are considered to be lower division and the remaining two years upper division. Students must apply for upper division status in Civil Engineering in order to be admitted to selected upper-division Civil Engineering courses.  Factors considered include overall grade point average, performance in selected lower division courses and a reflective statement of why you wish to be a Civil Engineer. Upper division status is only a prerequisite for CE 320, CE 352, CE 360, and CE 370.

To gain upper division status you must:

  • have completed 45 semester credits
  • have an overall GPA of at least 2.50
  • have passed the following courses with a grade of C- or better in each course with a combined average GPA of 2.70 or better:
    • CE 280 – Civil Engineering Case Studies
    • CE 282 – Engineering Practice
    • CE/ME 350 – Engineering Mechanics of Materials
    • CHEM 112 – General Chemistry II
    • MATH 275 – Multivariable and Vector Calculus
    • MATH 333 – Differential Equations with Matrix Theory
  • have submitted the application form (available here Upper Division Application Form (PDF) or in the departmental office, ERB 1134).
  • included an application letter/essay consisting of two to three paragraphs expressing why that student wishes to take upper-division courses with the application
  • included a copy of your unofficial Boise State transcript with the application

You may apply in the semester you are finishing the above requirements.  If you do, your application will be reviewed at the end of that semester. Applications are due by the first day of classes for the semester in which you wish to gain upper division status. Any applications received after the first day of the semester will go into effect for the next semester. Transfer courses you wish to use to fulfill any of the criteria, must have already been through or be in the process to be accepted by the Registrar’s office. Any transfer credit that transfers in as a “P” will considered as a “C” in the GPA calculation.

To read all policies regarding admission to Upper Division, click here.