Since the College of Engineering was created in 1996, it has achieved incredible success thanks to support from corporate and industry partners and Idaho’s phenomenal growth in high technology companies. A few recent achievements include:
- In 2011, COEN ranked 15th on U.S. News & World Report’s list of best engineering colleges among public universities without Ph.D. programs.
- 2173 students are currently enrolled in engineering majors, up from the 656 students when the College was opened in 1997.
- The college partners with dozens of Idaho and national companies to provide co-op and internship opportunities for engineering students.
- Plans are underway to create faculty and student exchanges with universities in Guadalajara, Mexico and Seoul, South Korea.
Research that directly benefits the welfare and education of Idaho residents and jumpstarts new businesses
- Nearly $10 million a year in research funding supports a wide variety of initiatives that impact the citizens of Idaho
- Research expenditures have increased 104% since 2002
- Proposal submissions increased more than 300%
- Proposal success rate is 50%, nearly five times the national average in engineering
- Developed collaborations with Northwestern University, Penn State, University of Nevada Las Vegas, Oregon State University, University of Maryland, Stanford, Utah State, Iowa State University, CalTech, University of Illinois, University of California Davis
- Four students selected for NASA Langley Research Center summer 2010 internships; two teams accepted to the prestigious NASA Microgravity University program; and a student selected as the outstanding co-op student for NASA’s highly competitive Cooperative Education Program at Johnson Space Center
- A Boise State University research team along with a team from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) was honored as a runner-up in the 2009 Lunar Outpost Student Design Competition sponsored by the Pacific International Space Center for Exploration Systems (PISCES)
- Ph.D. student enrollment grew 45%
- 83% of COEN students who graduated in 2010 reported they had an internship or research experience