Originally from Los Angeles, California, Armen currently is pursuing his PhD in Materials Science and Engineering at Boise State University. He is the current lab manager of the Applied Electrochemistry and Corrosion Research Lab.
Armen received his Bachelors of Science degree in Chemical Engineering and a minor in Materials Engineering from California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona). His undergraduate research was focused on halide activated pack cementation of austenitic stainless steels. Currently, his research is focused on assessing the corrosion behavior of aerospace bearing steels and the role different heat treatments play in overall performance of these steels. Specifically, advanced electrochemistry techniques are used to accelerate the corrosion process and observe how the material responds to this induced corrosion.
Having done internships at SpaceX and NASA as a corrosion engineer, Armen has a more holistic and rounded view on the issues that arise when dealing with problems in corrosion; both in the industrial and government sector. Being very passionate about corrosion, Armen hopes to bridge the gap between scientists and government officials. Having the knowledge of the issue at hand, as well as the urge to fix it, he eventually wants to become an effective member of the government that designs laws and policies in order to mitigate or fix the detrimental effects of corrosion, thereby creating a safer environment for all.
Armens’ primary responsibilities in the corrosion group include:
- Lab Manager
- Aerospace grade Bearing Steels Project – EIS and AP Corrosion Tests (Team leader)
- Magnesium sample preparation and analysis using Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM)
- Electrochemical Corrosion Test Methods for Rapid Assessment of Aerospace Bearing Steel Performance
- ASTM-STP1600: Bearing Steel Technologies: 11th Volume, Advances in Steel Technologies for Rolling Bearings, 2016
- Controlling the corrosion and cathodic activation of magnesium via microalloying additions of Ge
- Nature Scientific Reports 6, 2016
- Microgalvanic corrosion behavior of Cu-Ag active braze alloys investigated with SKPFM
- Metals 6, Special Issue-Oxidation of Metals, 2016
- Effect of Austenite Stability on Pack Aluminizing of Austenitic Stainless Steels
- Journal of Materials 67, Issue 1, pgs. 61-67, 2015
- Sulfuric Acid Corrosion of Several Ni-Base Alloy Weld Overlays
- NACE International Paper No. 2015-5749, Corrosion 2015
- Thermochemical Surface Engineering of Steels: Improving Materials Performance
- Woodhead Publishing Chapter 21: Aluminizing of steel to improve corrosion resistance, 2014