The GenCyber program provides summer cybersecurity camp experiences for students and teachers at the K-12 level. The goals of the program are to increase interest in cybersecurity careers and diversity in the cybersecurity workforce of the nation, help all students understand correct and safe on-line behavior and how they can be good digital citizens, and improve teaching methods for delivery of cybersecurity content in K-12 curricula.
GenCyber Summer Camps
Boise State University is pleased to be able to host GenCyber camps. Over the years these camps have been geared to teachers and to students! You can learn more about these programs below.
GenCyber Student Camp 2019
The 2019 GenCyber Student Camp at Boise State University is designed for high school students in Southwest Idaho and the Boise area to:
- introduce and cement knowledge of cybersecurity first principles
- increase the curiosity of the participants in the field of cybersecurity
- encourage participants to seek further education in cybersecurity
- motivate participants to seek a career in cybersecurity
Topics include online cybersecurity awareness, cryptography, device security, device and network privacy, wireshark, iptables, sqlmap and Raspberry Pi 3 will be taught in class, from which students will be exposed to several cyberesecurity first principles.
GenCyber Student Camp 2018
GenCyber Teacher Camp 2017
The 2017 GenCyber Teacher Camp at Boise State University was designed for secondary education teachers in Southwest Idaho and the Boise area to:
- create local cyber security awareness
- build a community of practice to promote cyber security for everyone
- design, develop, implement, and evaluate lesson plans for teachers in the area of security and privacy
- provide cyber security resources and make them accessible to the community.
Topics include password protection, phishing, cryptography, virus, Trojans will be taught in class, from which participants will be exposed to several first principles such as data hiding, process isolation, modularity, etc.