As an undergraduate student in the CS department, you can take advantage of:
- Small classes taught by highly regarded faculty members
- A CS tutoring center that is open seven days a week to help freshmen and sophomores.
- Opportunities to participate in cutting edge research (and be paid for it!)
- A collegial department atmosphere, where students and faculty interact frequently
- Professional development through the CS student club
- Graduating seniors score in the top 10% to 20% in the national Major Field Test for Computer Science compared to around 200 other CS departments
- Employer surveys and industry feedback affirms the quality of graduates over the long term
- An Internship experience that allows students to “hit the ground running”
Our Student and Graduates are in high demand:
- About 80% of junior/senior students have internships at local software companies
- Local employers prefer Boise State CS graduates over those from other programs in the region
- Most students have offers before they graduate. Many get an offer up to a year before graduation
- About 90% of graduates remain in the Boise metro area
- Hundreds of software and tech companies in the Boise area all need more CS graduates
- Computer Science is predicted by the Bureau of Labor to grow more than any other field over the next ten years.
- High starting salaries (among top 2 or 3 majors nationally). Last year, the salaries ranged from 60K to 80K with the average around 70K.
- Students have been placed recently at Acquity group, Amazon, Balihoo, Boise Inc, Clearwater Analytics, Cradlepoint,
First to File, Google, Healthwise, HP, Impact Sales, Keynetics, Kount, Micron, Microsoft, Tsheets, Whitecloud Analytics and many others
- Easy access: many software/tech and other companies that hire interns are conveniently located near the new department building. See the map below to get a sense of how close some of these companies are! Check out the google maps version here!
Growth of the CS Department:
- Recently, the CS Department has received a major investment by the University. The budget has more than tripled, and eighteen new faculty have joined us in the last three years.
- Enrollment has been on an upward trend for the last 4 years.
- Over the last three years, the number of CS graduates has tripled. Check out our current enrollment numbers here!
Application and Admission:
Start the application to be admitted to Boise State University and the B.S. in Computer Science program by clicking the button below. Select Undergraduate Admission and it will walk you through the steps needed and prompt you for the appropriate information. Transfer students should also review transfer requirements and the transfer student guide. Transfer students may also meet with an advisor if additional help is needed.
My name is Stephen Porter. I am an undergraduate student at Boise State University studying Computer Science and Mathematics. I am an intern for MetaGeek, LLC in Boise, Idaho. Interning at MetaGeek has been a life changing experience. Not only am I getting behind the scenes looks into the developing world (which helps me greatly in my major), but I am learning so much about the company and our products. [continue reading…]