Phone: 208-426-3821 | Fax: 208-426-2470 | Office: MEC 302M
- 2000--present. Associate Professor and Graduate Program Coordinator of Computer Science, College of Engineering, Boise State University.
- May 2008--Dec 2008. Consulting Scientist. Balihoo, Inc.
- Jan. 2007-- May. 2008. Part-time Chief Scientist. Balihoo, Inc.
- July 2007--Dec 2008. Interim Chair of Computer Science Department, College of Engineering, Boise State University.
- 1994--2000. Assistant Professor of Computer Science, Boise State University.
1992--Jul. 1994. Research Assistant. Center
for Parallel Computation, in the School
of Computer Science at University of
Florida. Evaluation, installation and maintenance of various
- August 1987--August 1988, Dec. 1988, Summer 1989. Worked at converting High Energy Physics Applications to run on parallel clusters on the Advanced Computing project at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory.
- Ph.D. (1994) in Computer Science from the School of Computer Science at University of Central Florida.
- B. Tech (1987) in Computer Science and Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi.
- Parallel Multiselection and Optimal Merging. Proceedings of the 30th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control and Computing pp. 215-224, 1992. (with N. Deo and M. Medidi)
- Construction of Height-Balanced Trees in Parallel. Proceedings of the 1992 International Conference on Parallel Processing volume III, pp. 297-300, 1992. (with N. Deo and M. Medidi)
- An Efficient Parallel Algorithm for Min-Cost Flow on Directed Series Parallel Networks. Proceedings of the 7th International Parallel Processing Symposium, pp. 188--192 1993. (with N. Chandrasekharan)
- An Optimal Parallel Algorithm for Merging using Multiselection. Information Processing Letters, volume 50, no. 2, pp. 81-88, April 1994. (with N. Deo and M. Medidi)
- Parallel Construction of (a,b)-trees. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, volume 23, pp. 442--448, 1994. (with N. Deo and M. Medidi)
- Parallel Search in Matrices with Sorted Columns. Proceedings of the Seventh IEEE Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing, pp. 224--230, 1995.
- Parallel Search and Multisearch in Sorted Matrices. Proceedings of the Eight IASTED International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing and Systems pp. 94--96, 1996.
- A Chapter titled Data Parallel Programming Using MPL in Introductory Lectures on Data Parallel Computing, an interactive multimedia CD-ROM, edited and Produced by P. Takis Metaxas. Published by A.K. Peters, Ltd, 1996.
- Parallel Search and Multisearch in Matrices with Sorted Columns. Parallel Processing Letters, volume 9, No. 4, 1999, pp. 575-586.
- Parallel Pencil-Beam Redefinition Algorithm. Proceedings of 10th Conference on Recent Advances in Parallel Virtual Machine and Message Passing Interface, pp. 537-544, 2003. Using Absent Sequences to Study and Predict Evolution by Greg Hampikian, Tim Andersen and Amit Jain, Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing, Seattle, 2006.
- Development of Three-Dimensional Microstructural Models to Study Intergranular Phenomena. L. Hindman, M. Frary, A. Jain. NASA Idaho Space Grant Consortium ResearchConference, Moscow, Idaho. Sep. 2007.
- Modeling Realistic Two amd Three Dimensional Microstructures: The Effects of Microstructural Anisotropy on Percolative Processes. M. Frary, L. Hindman, D.Shrader and A. Jain. MS&T 2007, Detroit, MI. Sep 2007.
- Modeling Realistic Microstructures: The Effects of Microstructural Anisotropy on Intergranular Stress-Corrosion Cracking (abstract submitted). M. Frary, L. Hindman and A. Jain. AAAS Pacific Division Meeting, Boise, ID. June 2007.
- Arbitrary Oxide Multi-Layer MIM Energy Band Diagram Program poster by Aaron Sup, Richard G. Southwick III, Amit Jain, and William Knowlton. IIRW EBP Workshop, Lake Tahoe, California, 2007.
- MPL Examples Programming examples for the MasPar MP-1/MP-2 SIMD parallel machine. Beowulf cluster. A cluster with 8 PCs with two Pentiums each. The cluster logo. A picture of the cluster. A Library of Parallel Algorithms for Generating Combinatorial Objects.(Postscript, PDF)
- Other related work experiences
- August 1987--August 1988, Dec. 1988, Summer 1989. Worked at parallelizing High Energy Physics Applications at the Advanced Computing project at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory.
- Jan. 1992--Jul. 1994. Center for Parallel Computation, under the School of Computer Science at University of Central Florida. Evaluation, installation and maintenance of various parallel systems. Setting up laboratory for classes and workshops.
- Parallel systems and languages, Beowulf clusters, parallel system hardware/software design, parallel application development, analysis and implementation of parallel algorithms.
Applications of parallel computing technology to benefit various areas of research outside of computer science. Projects include working with researchers from Materials Science & Engineering, Biology, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Geophysics, Community and Regional Planning and others.
Director of the Beowulf Cluster Lab, which houses a 60 node Beowulf cluster with 122 2.4 GHz Xeon processors. The lab was sponsored by a National Science Foundation Major Research Infrastructure Award No. 0321233.
Supervised Masters Projects
- Hadoop and Hive as Scalable alternatives to RDBMS: A Case Study (Marissa Hollingsworth, 2012)
- Android Application for Cluster Job Management (Chris Schance, 2012)
- Designing Reliable High-Performance Storage Systems for HPC Environments (Lucas Hindman, 2011)
- Conversion of the Band Diagram Program: A Look at Portability, Efficiency and Ease of Use (Mike Baker, 2010) [Supervised jointly with Dr. Bill Knowlton. MSE department]
- A Parallel Computing Test Bed for Performing an Unsupervised Fluoroscopic Analysis of Knee Joint Kinematics (Renu Ramanatha, 2009) [Supervised jointly with Dr. Elisa Barney Smith, ECE department]
- Boise State Cluster Installer Upgrade (John Prestwich, 2009)
- Data Clustering Using MapReduce (Makho Ngazimbi, 2009)
- Modifications to ClusMon (Madhura Phansalkar, 2009)
- PTK: A Parallel ToolKit Library (Kirsten Allison, 2007)
- CombAlg: A Parallel Library of Combinatorial Algorithms (Brad Seewald, 2007)
- BSACI: Boise State Automated Cluster Installer (Paul Kreiner, 2007)
- Performance Study of Lucene in Parallel and Distributed Environments (Kishore Sajja, 2007)
- Beosh: The Beowulf Cluster Shell (Mason Vail, 2006)
- ClusMon: A Beowulf Cluster Monitoring System (Conrad Kennington, 2006)
- Java Bindings for Parallel Virtual Machine. (Eric Fialkowski, 2004)
- Connection Pooling in PostgreSQL. (Michael Shelton, 2004)
- Manual versus Automatic Parallelization Using PVM and HPF (Hongyi Hu, 2004)
- Beowulf Low Latency Protocol. (Ira Burton, 2003)
- Kevin Nuss
- Sandhya Vinnakota.
- Matt Tanner.
- Aaron Wells
- Chess Playing Machine (CPM Project website): Joe Coffland.
- Interpeater: An Internet Radio Repeater (website):
Shaun Henry, senior in Computer Science.
- Parallelization of Pencil Beam Redefinition Code (manuscript, in PDF): Paul Alderson
and Mark Wright, seniors in Computer Science. (Accepted for publication in
the 2003 Euro PVM/MPI Conference)
- Remote Power Control for a Beowulf Cluster: Brady Catherman,
sophomore in Computer Science.
- 2-D and 3-D Microstructural Models for Intergranular Fracture of Polycrystals: Luke Hindman, senior in Computer Science. (in colloboration with Dr. Megan Frary from Materials Science & Engg.)
- Computer Science at Boise State: An Investment in Idaho's Future. PI: Amit Jain. Co-PI: Robert Kustra. IGEM/HERC grant from State of Idaho. $2,100,000. From 2012-2015.
- Idaho Scholarships for Transfer Students. PI: Janet Callahan. Co-PIs: Sondra Miller, Amy Moll, Amit Jain, Doug Bullock. National Science Foundation. $600,000. 07/01/2011 -- 06/30/2016.
- High Dielectric Constant Materials at the Nanometer Scale for Microelectronic Devices. PI: Bill Knowlton. Co-PI: Amit Jain. HERC grant from State of Idaho. $75,000. 2008 -- 2009.
- Idaho Engineering Scholarship Program -- Expanded Opportunities. PI: Janet Callahan, Co-PIs: Amy Moll, Amit Jain, Joe Guarino, Cheryl Schrader. National Science Foundation. $593,291. 08/01/2008 -- 08/01/2012.
- Idaho Engineering Scholarship Program. PI: Amy Moll. Co-PIs: Sing Ming Loo, Amit Jain, Cheryl Schrader and John Gardner. National Science Foundation. $499,890. 08/01/06 -- 07/30/11.
- HERC Center for Musculoskeletal Research. PI: Julie Oxford, Co-PIs: Ron Pfeiffer, Michelle Sabick, Peter Mullner, Amit Jain, GongXin Yu, William Knowlton, Cheryl Jorck. HERC from State of Idaho. $1,022,700. 7/12007 -- 6/30/,2010.
- Development of Microstructural Models for Intergranular Fracture in Three-Dimensional Polycrystals. PI: Megan Frary, Co-PI. Amit Jain. NASA Idaho Space Grants Consortium. $60,000. 03/01/06 -- 03/01/08.
- Multi-Scale Parallel Finite Difference Time-Domain Method for Optical Devices and Systems. PI: Wan Kuang, Co-PI: Amit Jain. NASA Idaho Space Grants Consortium. $21,500. 11/1/2005 -- 7/31/2006.
- Beowulf Cluster Program Income Fund. PI: Amit Jain. Crowley Davis Research (private company in Eagle, Idaho). $20,000. 1/8/2004 -- 1/12/2005.
- Scholarships for Computer Science and Engineering Education in Idaho. PI: Amy Moll, Co-PIs: Mandar Khanal, Sin Ming Loo, Amit Jain, Cheryl Schrader. National Science Foundation. $400,000. 1/8/2004 -- 7/31/2008.
- Development of Tools to Enable the Port of Software to a Beowulf Cluster. PI: Paul Michaels (Geosciences), Co-PI and Project Director: Amit Jain. Major Research Infrastructure grant by the National Science Foundation. $300,000. 8/1/2003 -- 7/31/2006.
- Parallel computing
- Beowulf clusters
- Operating Systems
- Distributed Systems