ParaView is an open-source, multi-platform data analysis and visualization application. ParaView users can quickly build visualizations to analyze their data using qualitative and quantitative techniques. The data exploration can be done interactively in 3D or programmatically using ParaView’s batch processing capabilities.
ParaView was developed to analyze extremely large datasets using distributed memory computing resources. It can be run on supercomputers to analyze datasets of petascale as well as on laptops for smaller data. ParaView is an application framework as well as a turn-key application.
Paraview User Manual is built into the program. It can be downloaded from the link above and selecting the download selections (shown in the image below).
This information pertains to users running ParaView locally on a system to connect to Kestrel.
- Log into Kestrel
- Module load paraview
- Type createSLURMscript at prompt
- Select 1 on the main menu for Client/Server SLURM Job
- Enter the desired filename for your job (ex: paraview_job.sh)
- Enter the name of your SLURM job (ex: paraview_job)
- Enter batch for SLURM jobs
- Select 5 on the main menu to exit createSLURMscript
- Type sbatch <filename> to submit your job (ex: sbatch paraview_job.sh)
- Type qstat -n at the prompt
- Look through the list and find the first node that your job is started on and record the node # (ex: node23) this will be used for the client server port on your local Paraview
- Open Paraview on your local host
- First time Paraview users will need to follow the steps below under Paraview first time server connect to Kestrel before using.
- Once you are finished with the job on Paraview click Disconnect this will remove the job from SLURM
- Click Connect icon
- Click Add Server
- Name: Desired name for your connection
- Server Type: Client/Server
- Host: kestrel.boisestate.edu
- Port: 111## (the last two digits are the node # of your starting job. ex: 11123 as per example above)
- Click Configure
- Click Save on next screen. Do not change Startup Type: Manual
- Highlight the configuration selection (ex: cs://kestrel.boisestate.edu:11123)
- Click Connect