This document provides instructions for installing the HP RGS Receiver client and the Leostream connect client software packages. These applications make it possible for users to access the College of Engineering Remote Access Lab.
Follow the next 5 steps to download, install and configure the client software necessary to connect to the remote lab machines. Steps 1 through 4 are a one-time configuration process for access.
- A high-speed internet connection
- PC or laptop with at least 4GBs of RAM
- 500MB of hard drive space
- A graphics card with a minimum of 1GB of memory
STEP 1: Downloading the software
- Open a browser window and go to http://coen.boisestate.edu/its/downloads
- In the downloads page at the bottom under “Remote Apps” click the “Remote Lab Clients” link. If you are prompted (“What to do” with the file), choose “Save As” and save the file to a location which you will be able to find later on:
- Once saved, from your computer, navigate to the location of where you saved the file and extract the contents of the archive:
STEP 2: Install the HP RGS Software
- When the files have been extracted from the archive, double click the file called “HPReceiverSetup”:
- Running this file should begin the installation for the HP RGS Software. Click Next on the first screen:
- License Agreement: Click the “I accept…” radio button and then the “Next” button:
- Destination Folder: Use the default installation path and click the “Next” button once more:
- Make sure that the option labeled “Typical” is selected and press ‘Next’:
- Ready to Install the Program: On the following screen press the ‘Install’ button for the application to copy and configure your computer with the selected settings:
- Once the installation has completed, you will be prompted to restart your computer. Select ‘Yes I want to restart my computer now’ and then click ‘Finish’:
- After the computer restarts it concludes the RGS receiver installation. Navigate to the location where with the unzipped the downloaded archive and get ready to launch the Leostream connect client installation.
STEP 3: Install the Leostream Connect client
- Run the file called “LeostreamConnectSetup”:
- On the language window select “English”:
- On the license agreement window select “I accept…” and click ‘Next’:
- Leave the default install location as is and click ‘Next’ again:
- In the “Select Additional Tasks” none of the options present should be checked, click ‘Next’ to continue.
- In the next screen, uncheck the “Obtain connection Broker Address automatically using DNS” and in the textbox below enter in: coen-labgateway.boisestate.edu and click “Next”.
- Click the ‘Install’ button to confirm your selections and install the application.
- When the application install completes it should give you a window like the one below:
STEP 4: Confirm the Leostream Connect client
- You will notice that an icon like the one below has been placed on the desktop:
- After the installation completes, the Leostream Connect client may prompt you to configure the Broker’s address in a prompt like this one:
- Click ok and then look on your taskbar (located at the bottom right corner of your screen) for the Leostream connect icon. It should look like the following image shows:
- Right click that icon on the taskbar and should see a small menu appear. Select “Options…”:
- This will open up the Leostream Connect client’s options window. On the “General” tab make sure that checkboxes that say “Login to Connection Broker” and “Connect to Desktop after Login” are both checked. On the “Broker” Tab uncheck the box that says “Obtain Connection Broker Address Automatically” and in the “Address” field enter in coen-labgateway.boisestate.edu and click the “Apply” button.
- You should now be able to click the “Test” button to make sure the settings and the address has been entered properly and you should get a results window like the one below:
STEP 5: Login using the Leostream Connect client
- Now click ‘OK’ to close the test window and click ‘OK’ once more to close the Leostream options window. Go back to the taskbar (located at the bottom right corner of your screen) and right click the Leostream icon and select “Login…”:
- This should open up a login window on your screen that looks like the image below. Here make sure that you enter in your broncoweb username and your broncoweb password. If you can see the “Domain” drop down menu either select “Boisestate” or type it in and click the ‘Login’ button:
- If you do not see an option to enter in a “Domain” then simply “boisestate\” to your username as the following image illustrates:
- The Leostream Connect client will then establish a connection to the university’s broker server to begin assigning you an available desktop (if any):
- Once you have been assigned a desktop. The RGS window will open up with the login screen for the computer that you were assigned by the server:
- Click ‘Ok’ and then you will be logged in automatically with the credentials that you previously supplied to the leostream client and should be taken to the windows desktop on the remote machine:
- If you wish to log off the remote machine simply select the logoff option from the start menu on the remote system:
- This will should close to the connection to the remote machine and return you to your physical computer’s desktop. However, this does not log you out of the Leostream Connect client installed on your machine. If at a later time you wish to reestablish the connection to the remote desktop then just right click the Leostream Connect icon on your taskbar, highlight the desktop that you previously connected to (the client remembers it) and select ‘Connect’. If for some reason the client that you previously connected to is no longer available then you will be assigned another available remote desktop automatically:
- If after you log out of the remote computer you wish to close the Leostream Connect client altogether. Then right click the Leostream Connect icon on your taskbar and select “Exit”. This will log out of the Leostream Connect client software and remove the icon from your taskbar. If you wish to connect again at a later time then use the shortcut\icon that was created on your desktop at the time of installation:
Adjusting the screen resolution on the remote system
- You will find that once you have established a connection to one of the remove lab machines the size of the HP RGS window that displays the remote system may not match up properly with the size of your monitor’s screen. You may see some scroll bars on the HP RGS window as seen on the image below:
- To fix this problem right click anywhere on the desktop on the remote lab machine and from the right click menu that appears select “screen resolution”:
- On the ‘Screen Resolution’ window experiment by selecting different resolutions from the “resolution” drop down menu:
- After selecting the desired resolution click the “Apply” button. If for some reason you select a resolution that your own monitor is unable to display and you can not see any output from the HP RGS window, wait 15 seconds and the resolution will go back to its previous setting. However, if you do end up selecting a resolution value that you are happy with then make sure to click the “Keep Changes” button on the prompt:
- After each time that you make a screen resolution change make sure to enlarge the HP RGS window’s width and height to check and see if this resolution setting is what will work best for you. You can enlarge the window by dragging the lower right corner to the right or down, when you hover your mouse at this corner of the window your mouse’s icon changes alerting you to the direction that you can expand the window’s size:
Have more questions? Check out our FAQs area.