Skip to Main Content

New Student Employees

pictures of 6 student employees

Welcome to the Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering team! We’re excited to have you working with us this semester to support the success of our students and research programs. Regardless of your position, there are a few things that you’ll want to be aware of.

Before you start

Background Check: New employees may have to undergo a background check. If you have already done one, you won’t need to do another. If needed, Human Resources will be in touch with you regarding the process. Watch for an email from Human Resources or Sterling Info Systems. Any requests that come from these offices need to be handled as soon as possible to make your employment process easier, so please get that done as soon as possible.

I-9 Form:  If you have not worked on campus before, you will need to file an I-9 form with the Human Resources office. This is a federal requirement that attests that you are legal to work in the United States. This form MUST be completed by the first day of work. You can find this form online at: Please complete it and take the appropriate documents to the Human Resources office located at the corner of University and Capitol Blvd. They will give you a pink sheet of paper for you to bring to the MBE office that shows they have the form on file. If you have already worked for the university, please let me know by email so I can mark you off.

Access: Student employees will receive access to the buildings and rooms necessary to do their jobs. A list of graders/PEs has been sent in to gain access to the ENGR/MEC buildings and to the MBE department office. Students who need access to other rooms, laboratories and buildings will be set up individually by your supervisor.

  • Card Access: Your student ID card also contains proximity technology for access. We can request your card be activated to give you access to buildings and rooms controlled with proximity cards. To do so, we’ll need your name, your ID number, and the 5-6 digit security code from the back of your card. (Note: If for some reason your card does not have a code, please visit the Student Info desk at the Student Union to get one that does.)
  • If you need access to rooms that are secured with a key lock, your supervisor will either check out a key to you, or request one be made for you. In either case, you are responsible for the security of the key and to return it upon completion of your time in that position.


Pay Periods: The pay period is two weeks long and is paid on the Friday two weeks after the end of the period. That means that the work you do between August 12 and August 25 should be reported by 5:00 PM on the Monday following (August 27) and the hours will be paid out to you on Friday, September 7.

Paychecks: The preferred method to pay you is with Direct Deposit. Please check out information on how to set this up here:

Time Sheets: Hours are entered through the PeopleSoft system. When you log in to report hours, you will see one or more lines available for reporting. Each represents a different role or funding source. Be sure you are aware of which one pertains to what you are doing, as this affects how hours are tracked/reported and how funds are distributed.

  • Work Study: If you have a federal work study award for your job, you will see two lines for the same position. One is for your work study funds, and the other is for the same position should those funds be exhausted. Please report your hours primarily on the line with a department code of 12600! You will be notified should you need to change your reporting to the other line.

Troubleshooting: Frequently students will have problems entering time on the first pay period of the new semester, especially if their first day is not the first day of the pay period. If that should happen, please try the following steps:

  1. Go to your PeopleSoft timesheet.
  2. In the “View By:” field, change from “Pay Period” to “Week”.
  3. Verify the correct date for the week.
  4. Enter your hours for the week and submit.
  5. Change the date to the second week (as required) and do the same.

Your timesheet should work for you by the time you have to enter time for the next pay period. If this process does not allow you to enter time, please let me know as soon as possible to allow us to correct things before it is too late to get you paid on time.

Contact:  If you have any questions regarding the hiring or other processes, don’t hesitate to contact our office and we’ll get you the information you need. Our Human Resources person is Justin Larson (426-4078/


Thanks for accepting the position of student academic assistant for the next semester. This is an important job, with our sections becoming larger and the impact on our instructors becoming greater. Your assistance will be invaluable to the success of that instructor in their ability to get feedback to students quickly and accurately.

Schedule. Please contact the instructor you will be working for as soon as you can to discuss your role and schedule. The earlier you can connect, the sooner you can be up and running.

Peer Educators

We’re excited to have you working in our peer educator program. This is a direct way to have a positive impact on the academic success of your peers. Evolving from the campus Learning Assistant program, Peer Educators (PEs) are trained in strategies and techniques for tutoring highly technical material in a way that makes sense to engineers.

Content. Please contact the instructor of the class you will be supporting as soon as you can to discuss their plans for teaching the material. The earlier you can connect, the sooner you can be prepared for your first sessions.

Scheduling. Tutoring sessions are fairly flexible in day and time, so we can work around your schedule. Dr. Krishna Pakala manages the PE program and will be in contact with you to schedule your session times and locations. Please watch for his communication so that we can have a schedule established in time for the first week of school.

Student Research Technicians

The Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering program is proud of our ability to offer research positions to undergraduate students. This position carries responsibilities that affect research schedules, government and private funding sources, and professional relationships and will open doors for you in the future.

Safety. Most of our research staff are required to complete safety trainings on proper procedures in the lab and cautions on equipment and chemicals which you may work with. Refer to your lab supervisor for more information on the specific safety training you require.

Graduate Assistants

Graduate assistants are usually paid a stipend for an annual salary, plus fees and tuition. These awards come from a variety of fund sources with their own restrictions, so be sure you understand any expectations that your supervisor may have. Graduate assistants may work in either teaching or research roles and generally work 20 hours/week during the fall and spring semesters and 40 hours/week during the summer.

  • Work study. Graduate students may be eligible for federal work study funding. In these cases, we must report your time worked hourly. Please work with Justin Larson in the office to establish what will be expected to take advantage of these funds.
  • Partial/hourly graduate assistants. Please coordinate with your supervisor and the department office on how reporting and pay will be handled.

Room Requests

At some point in your time here at Boise State, you may be asked to schedule a meeting room for study sessions, meetings, or projects. Please come by the MBE Office (Ruch 201) or send an email to We’ll work with you to find a space that meets your needs.

MBE Office staff photos

Katy D’Amico, Justin Larson, Ashley Holden, Kayla Wilson


We’re here to help! The staff in the Department Office are here to help you be successful in your role of employee and of student. If you run into any problems, come by the office and we’ll help you resolve them.

The MBE Office is located on the second floor of the Ruch Engineering Building, Room 201.

Phone:  208-426-4078
Email: (for general questions)
Email: (for questions regarding academic issues)