Materials characterization services are provided via the Boise State Center for Materials Characterization (BSCMC), the Idaho Microfabrication Laboratory (IML), the Surface Science Lab (SSL), and via individual laboratories of our faculty. Further capabilities are available at the Characterization Imaging Center at the Center for Advanced Energy Studies (CAES).
Located in the BSCMC:
- JEOL JEM-2100 HR Analytical Transmission Electron Microscope
- Bruker AXS D8 Discover X-Ray Diffractometer
- Rigaku Miniflex 600 Bench-top X-ray Diffractometer (XRD) with high-speed detector and graphite monochromator
- Hitachi S-3400N-II Analytical Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) with variable pressure, EDS, WDS, and EBSD
- Leica DM6000 M Materials Microscope and 5 MP Camera, fully motorized with BF, DF, and DIC modes
- Cameca SXFive electron probe microanalyzer. Five wavelength-dispersive spectrometers and energy-dispersive spectrometer.
- FEI Teneo field emission SEM with EDS, EBSD, STEM and electron beam lithography
- Bruker Tracer III SD hand-held XRF.
Located in the IML:
- Hitachi S-4500 Field Emission Scanning Electron Microscope
- Leo 1430 VP Scanning Electron Microscope with EDS, BE-imaging, and electron beam lithography with EBSD
- Gaertner Scientific L1 15 C-18 Ellipsometer
- Nanometrics 212 Nanospec Film Measurement
- Wyko NT1100 Optical Profilometer
- Dektak V200 Si Stylus Profilometer
- Superior Electronics Automatic Four-Point-Probe
Located in the SSL:
Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) or Scanning Probe Microscopy (SPM) Systems
- Bruker Dimension Icon FastScan Bio SPM with 64 bit Nanoscope V Controller housed in an MBrauncontrolled atmosphere (<1 ppm oxygen, <1 ppm water) 3-glove Labmaster glovebox.
- Bruker Dimension Icon FastScan Bio SPM with 64 bit Nanoscope V Controller
- Bruker MultiMode 8 SPM with Nanoscope V Controller
- Bruker Dimension 3100 SPM (formerly Digital Instruments/Veeco) with Nanoscope IV Controller
- Hysitron TS 75 Triboscope Nanomechanical/Nanoindentation System for use with Dimension 3100 SPM
Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) Systems
- Optical microscope Zeiss Axiovert 200 MAT with CCD camera (contact Dr. Harold Ackler)