Undergraduate Program Mission
To provide accessible, high quality, nationally recognized education in materials science and engineering that prepares students for productive careers, further graduate study, and lifelong learning.
Within a few years of graduation, materials science and engineering graduates will be:
- Fully qualified as materials engineers, with an ability to adapt and progress in a rapidly changing field.
- Well-rounded individuals who both understand the principles and can undertake the practice of the science and engineering of materials.
- Able to operate as effective engineers or scientists in materials industries, academia, or related fields.
At the time of graduation, materials science and engineering students will possess:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability.
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice