Skip to Main Content

FAQ – New/Current Students

Does Idaho have a “Computer Science Teacher Endorsement”?

The Computer Science Teacher Endorsement has been approved for the Fall 2015. This approval creates “Graduate Certificate” for teachers who wish to obtain an SBOE/OSBE endorsement to teach Computer Science in Idaho High Schools.

The Boise State University endorsement requires the teacher to successfully complete the course requirements detailed in the Graduate Certificate in Computer Science Teacher Endorsement program.

I already have a Masters, am I eligible for the Masters of Arts in Education program?

  • Yes, up to 1/3 of the Masters credits may apply from your prior relevant education or computer science coursework.
  • Contact Amit Jain to determine which of your prior Computer Sciences courses are transferable: Amit Jain, (208) 426-3821.
  • Contact Esther Enright to determine which of your prior educational courses are transferable: Esther Enright, (208) 426-1693.

NOTE: There is a seven year window which spans all coursework required for the masters from the first course to finishing your degree.

Will classes be offered in the afternoon and evenings?

Yes, classes will be scheduled 4:30 or later to accommodate a teachers’ schedule. Classes will also be offered during the summer.

How do I find the textbooks required for my course?

The Boise State Bookstore makes it easy to find the exact textbooks you need for every class. For each class, simply select the Term, Department, Course and Section to see a list of the required and optional texts and materials as specified by your instructor.

How do I apply for graduation?

For complete details on applying for graduation the student should consult their academic advisor. View the process and timeline basics.

What do I do if the registration system says I have not met the prerequisite to register for a course?

  • The system believes the class if full.
    • In this case, contact the professor and request a permission number.
  • The system believes you have not fulfilled the prerequisites.
    • This may occur in the fall semester if you are also taking summer session courses.  For example, you may be registered to take CS 505 in the summer, but received this notification when attempting to register for CS 321 for the Fall semester.  In this situation, contact the professor explain your situation and request a permission number so you can register for the class.

Do I need a special ID card to access the computer labs?

  • Yes, you will need an ID card with a proximity sensor. Be sure to request a Student ID card with a proximity sensor.
  • If you received a magnetic strip only card, you can take the card to the info desk in the student union to be replaced with a proximity sensor card for free.

If I already have the course content knowledge, can I challenge a course?

  • Yes, credit for can be granted for verifiable skills and learning gained through the experience.  Details can be found at: Credit for Prior Learning
  • Fill out the Prior Learning form and work with your advisor to initiate the evaluation process.
  • After filling out the form, contact Dr Amit Jain to work out the details of your portfolio assessment.

Do I need additional field evaluation to obtain the Idaho Computer Science Teacher Endorsement?

After finishing the CS courses in the Graduate Certificate, apply to the Professional Standards Committee at Boise State University. The committee will endorse the teacher to the State Department of Education based on the following:

  1. Evidence of positively evaluated teaching in current position
  2. Transcript review
  3. Passing the Idaho Computer Science Praxis exam
  4. Four observations using the Danielson Framework across a span of no less than four weeks


Idaho’s Advanced Opportunities program, which sets aside up to $4,125 per Idaho student to use between seventh and 12th grades to pay for certain academic costs such as dual-credit classes that can run students and families hundreds of dollars.