Skip to Main Content

Lab Safety and Emergency Preparedness


What if the Unexpected Happens? How do You Respond?

Boise State University provides several incident reporting options:

  • Once you are safe, dial 9-1-1 if there is an immediate life-threatening emergency.
  • For all non-life threatening emergencies, call 426-6911 to reach Campus Security (66911 from any campus phone.)
  • You may also report any non-life threatening issues online. Once a report is filled out online, either by an identified person or anonymously, it is sent to Boise State Environmental Health, Safety and Sustainability and Boise State Risk Management for action and follow-up.

College of Engineering Laboratory Safety

The College of Engineering places high priority on lab safety. All lab participants must complete safety training, adhere to hazard mitigation strategies, and abide by all lab policies and procedures. The College of Engineering provides lab safety information online:

Important Shipping Information – Hazardous Materials

Boise State requires that hazardous materials be shipped from campus by trained individuals only. Suzy Arnette, director – environmental health and safety is the only individual trained and authorized to ship hazardous materials. All employees must contact Suzy Arnette to arrange for shipping of hazardous materials well in advance of shipping needs.

Suzy Arnette, Director – Environmental Health and Safety

Contact the Dangerous Goods Hotline to find out if your shipment is considered to be a hazardous material 1.800.463.3339 Ext. 81 Option 4. If it is, you must contact Suzy Arnette for shipping. Avoid a fine of up to $25,000 or a toxic chemical leak during shipping!

Important Receiving Information – Hazardous Materials

College of Engineering academic offices are not authorized to receive hazardous materials on-site. The College’s safety officer picks up all hazardous materials directly from Central Receiving and delivers them directly to the requester. Please work with Jon Scaggs, lab safety specialist on receiving hazardous materials.

Jon Scaggs, Lab Safety Specialist

Major Chemical Spills

A major chemical spill is one that staff cannot clean up without putting themselves or others in danger. Follow these procedures in cases of major chemical spills:

  • Avoid breathing vapors. Quickly identify the spilled material, if it can be done safely.
  • If the spill involves a flammable liquid, turn off all ignition sources, if it can be done safely.
  • Evacuate the area immediately, closing all doors.
  • Call 9-1-1 when safe to do so.
  • If someone is splashed with chemical, use an eye wash or emergency shower to immediately flush the affected area with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes, when safe to do so.
  • Keep all personnel away from the spill area until first responders arrive to evaluate and control the situation.
  • Post “Do Not Enter” signs on doors that have access to the spill location.
  • Provide incident-specific information and chemical safety data sheets to emergency responders immediately upon their arrival.

Incidental Chemical Spills

An incidental chemical spill is one that staff can clean up without putting themselves or others in danger. Follow these procedures in cases of incidental chemical spills:

  • Alert people in the area. Avoid breathing vapors and try to determine what has spilled.
  • If someone is splashed with chemical, use an eye wash or emergency shower to immediately flush the affected area with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes.
  • Contact someone in each category listed on the COEN Emergency  Contacts web page.
  • Do not begin cleanup until a trained faculty or staff member is present.

Building Evacuation

  1. If you hear a fire alarm at any time, take action. Fire alarms indicate that something serious is happening. You may not see a fire or other emergency, but you should exit the building immediately. Many adverse chemical reactions are difficult to detect, but can cause serious harm. Take fire alarms seriously and exit the building immediately!
  2. Get out through the nearest stairway exit. Do not use elevators.
  3. Gather in the designated Safe Assembly Location. Consult a building evacuation map (typically near elevators) to determine your Safe Assembly Location. For all College of Engineering buildings, the designated Safe Assembly Location is the Engineering Building Parking Lot.)
  4. If you have any information concerning the incident such as injured people, imminent threats, nature of the incident, be sure to notify first responders when you get to the safe assembly location.
  5. Occupants that cannot descend stairs should stay in the evacuation assistance area(s) of each building and wait for first responders to move them. Evacuation assistance areas are identified by a red sign that states, “Area for Evacuation Assistance.”
  6. Know your building address:
    1. Engineering Building (ENGR): 1375 West University Drive
    2. Micron Engineering Center (MEC): 1020 South Manitou Avenue
    3. Harry Morrison Civil Engineering Lab (HML): 1019 South Euclid Avenue
    4. Environmental Research Building (ERB): 1295 West University Drive

Targeted Violence

  1. Run: Can you safely escape?
    1. Leave your belongings and keep your hands visible as you flee.
    2. Caution others about entering the area.
    3. Call 9-1-1 after you are safe.
  2. Hide: Is there a good place to hide?
    1. Lock door and block entry to your hiding place.
    2. Silence your cell phone (including vibrate mode.) Opt-in now, and use BroncoALERT.
  3. Fight: Will you engage the shooter?
    1. Fight only as a last resort and when your life is in imminent danger.
    2. Fight as a group using improvised weapons and with as much physical aggression as possible.
    3. Commit to your action. Your life depends on it.

Personal Injury

  1. Call 9-1-1 for life threatening emergencies.
  2. Call 426-6911 to reach Campus Security for all non-life threatening emergencies (66911 from any campus phone).
  3. Know the address of your location, which is posted on Emergency Information Sheets near building exits.
  4. Know the location of the nearest automated external defibrillator AED location:
    1. Micron Engineering Center (MEC): 2nd floor, across from elevator
    2. Environmental Research Building (ERB): 2nd floor, across from elevator
  5. For Non-Emergency urgent care, visit the Health Sciences Norco Building on campus at 1529 Belmont St. Phone: 208-426-1459