Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu

Frequently Asked Questions – Ugrads

Image of Materials Science and Engineering Club Members Asking Questions

What counts as a technical emphasis course?  Or technical elective?  Or engineering elective?  Or MSE elective? Or PHYS elective?

Students have several options for selecting courses that meet curriculum requirements. Take a minute to review your elective and technical emphasis options. Be sure to meet with your academic advisor if you are not sure how if your course selections are appropriate!

What counts as a Disciplinary Lens (DL) course?

All students are required to take a number of disciplinary lens (DL) courses. DL courses are offered by academic departments and designed to expose non-majors to the distinctive methods and perspectives of a disciplinary cluster. Find out which courses count for the DL requirement.

What classes should I take and in which semesters?

Check out the MSMSE course planning webpage where you can find the four year plan for the catalog you are following. The four year plan identifies which courses you need to take each semester in order to graduate in four years with a Bachelor of Science.  You can also view the upcoming two-year course offering timeline to find out when MSMSE courses are being offered so you can plan ahead. Course descriptions and degree requirements are also available on the MSMSE course planning webpage.

If you are a part-time student, consult with your academic advisor, who will help you develop a custom course plan.

When do I register for classes?

Students register for classes by appointment, established by the Registrar’s office. You can review details about how registration appointments are assigned, depending on your enrollment status. Once appointments have been made, the Registrar’s Office will notify you via BroncoMail to check your appointment time. You will find your registration appointment in your student center on

How do I register for a class, add a class, or drop a class?

The Registrar’s Office provides information on course enrollment deadlines. They also provide a step-by-step guide to registering for courses (pdf) on

If you are having difficulty completing the registration process, call 426-BWEB and an expert can help you navigate the system. You can also visit College of Engineering Advising Center for course registration assistance.

Can I take a class at a different university and transfer it to Boise State?

In most cases, courses taken elsewhere must be approved by the Micron School of Materials Science and Engineering. Find out more about how to obtain approval for course transfer credits.

I’m having trouble in my classes.  Can I get tutoring?

Tutoring resources are available for many courses in the following disciplines:

The Writing Center is a great resource for guidance on report and narrative writing.  You might also consider exploring Advising and Academic Enhancement where you can find skills building workshops or sign up for an individual consultation from an experienced graduate student.

I have questions about my financial aid award. Who can I talk to?

The Boise State Financial Aid office can assist you with understanding your financial aid package. You may have action items related to your award! Be sure to check with Financial Aid to ensure that you are meeting eligibility requirements.

How do I find a job working in a research lab?

There are usually several opportunities available in the Micron School of Materials Science and Engineering and other related units on campus. Learn more about finding a research lab position.

How do I find an internship?

The Career Center has great information about internships.  Check with Jessica Economy in the Micron School of Materials Science and Engineering or Leandra Aburusa in the College of Engineering Advising Center to find out more about engineering-specific internship opportunities.

I am interested in pursuing graduate school.  What do I need to do to prepare?

Many graduate programs require that applicants take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE.) If you are a student in good academic standing, you will succeed in completing this requirement! Boise State offers GRE preparation workshops at a reduced rate for current Boise State students and alumni.

Other tips and resources you should consider when planning for graduate school include the following:

I’m feeling overwhelmed.  Who can help?

The Dean of Students provides comprehensive student support services. The Student Support Services staff can help you understand university policies and procedures, connect you to campus resources, and provide support during crisis.

Health Services offers wellness workshops and individual counseling services.

Advising and Academic Enhancement offers tutoring and skills building workshops to help you manage your course load.