Start Your Graduate School Experience Right
The transition into the Boise State materials science and engineering graduate program can be easy if you take some time in advance to establish your Boise State credentials, housing, and other program-related matters.
Before You Arrive on Campus
my.boisestate.edu is your source for all of your campus information. You can access your email and calendar and find links to Blackboard, your student center, and much more. You will receive a notification letter from the Boise State Graduate College once your application has been processed. This letter will contain your username, student ID number, and Boise State email address.
Steps for Setting Up my.boisestate.edu:
- Navigate your web browser to my.boisestate.edu
- Click on Create/Reset Password (under the Parent Sign In Button) to set up your password.
- Enter the username specified on your Graduate College admission letter.
- Enter the student ID number specified on your Graduate College admission letter.
- Enter your SSN.
- Enter your new password according to the complexity requirements stated online.
Check Your Email
Boise State students receive emails via BroncoMail. Your BroncoMail address is typically your first and last name followed by @u.boisestate.edu. As a graduate assistant, you will also receive an employee email address. Employee email addresses are typically the employee’s first and last name followed by @boisestate.edu.
Tips on Managing Your Boise State Email Addresses
- Automatically forward your BroncoMail and or employee email to an account you use most frequently.
- Check your email frequently. You will receive regular emails regarding course offerings, fellowships, research group news, and more.
Several housing options are available in the Treasure Valley area. Start your housing search early, as many affordable housing options near Boise State fill quickly, especially before the fall semester begins.
- On-campus housing may be available for graduate students. Find out more at Boise State Housing and Residential Life and apply early!
- There are several off-campus housing options. Check these links for more information:
Register for Classes
Your major advisor and or the MSE Dept. academic programs manager can help you complete the items below. You should meet well before you register for your first semester of classes. You can meet in person or via email or Skype. Contact the MSE Dept. Office at 208.426.5600 to make an appointment.
- Discuss your overall course plan.
- Complete required MSE Dept. and Graduate College Forms.
- Identify your first semester courses.
- Register for classes. Students use the student center on my.boisestate to register for classes. Browse course offerings, plan your schedule, and view your academic progress on your student center.
After You Arrive
Complete Your Employment Documents
Some items (Federal Form I-9, Employee Information Form) must be completed on or before your first day of employment. Other items (W-4 Tax Form, Direct Deposit, Compliance Certification) must be completed immediately after you begin employment.
- Check the Boise State New Employee website for a complete listing of immediate action items.
Obtain Your BroncoCard
Your BroncoCard gives you card reader access to select laboratories and study areas for MSE graduate assistants. You will also use your BroncoCard to access the Rec Center, purchase meal plans, and make cashless purchases on campus with Bronco Bucks.
- Find out more about obtaining your BroncoCard
- After completing your employment documents at Human Resources, take your ID # and valid photo ID to the BroncoCard office in the Student Union Building to obtain your BroncoCard.
Purchase a Parking Pass if You Plan to Park On-Campus
Parking on University Drive and other city-maintained streets is permitted without a Boise State parking permit. Signs posted on city-maintained streets describe any restrictions.
- Parking on campus requires a Boise State parking permit. You can purchase your parking permit and find out more about transportation options online.
Complete Laboratory Safety and Research Group Training
You will need to complete the required laboratory safety training prior to working in the laboratory. Your major advisor will review any other training related to your specific research group.
- Work with your major advisor to determine your laboratory safety and research group training requirements.
Review MSMSE Purchasing and Travel Guidelines
Graduate Assistants can access purchasing and travel guidelines and forms on the MSMSE website. Your assistant can help with administrative functions such as the following:
- Confirming that all hiring paperwork is complete.
- Obtaining BroncoCard key access to specific labs and work areas.
- Assigning your work/study space in one of the MSE Graduate Assistant work areas.
- Purchasing lab and research supplies approved by your research advisor.
- Making travel arrangements approved by your research advisor.